Tom Hixson Beef Stew & Dumplings
- Instant Pot Multi Pressure Cooker
- 1 kg Tom Hixson Beef Brisket cut into 50cm dice
- Vegetable oil
- 2 large onions finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/2 bunch of thyme picked
- Salt & Pepper
- 70 g butter
- 70 g flour
- 250 ml red wine
- 500 ml beef stock
- 4 large carrots peeled & cut diagonally into large chunks
- 4 leeks cut diagonally into large pieces
- 150 g self raising flour
- 70 g of suet
- 1 handful of parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Select Sauté on the Instant pot and add a little oil to the inner pot
- Season the beef well with salt and pepper, then sauté in small batches to colour the meat well on all sides. Once all the meat has been browned, remove from the inner pot and leave on a plate.
- Add the butter to the inner pot, with the onions, garlic, thyme and salt & pepper and sauté until the onions have softened.
- Once soft, add the flour and mix well, then quickly pour the wine on top and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the Inner Pot.
- Leave the wine to simmer, until it reduces by about half and then add the stock, giving everything a stir until you have a nice thick, smooth sauce.
- Add your beef and all the juices, plus the leeks and carrots, then press Cancel and select Slow Cook.
- Choose low and set the time to 4 hours.
- When the Instant Pot timer has about 45minutes left, make the dumplings.
- Add the flour into a bowl and add ½ tsp salt. Stir through the suet and parsley.
- Make a well in the center and add 3 tbsp cold water, mix to a dough, adding more water until the dough is firm but pliable, and divide into six equal balls.
- When the timer has about 30minutes to go, arrange the dumplings on top for the remaining time until they are brown and puffed up.
- Finish with fresh chopped parsley, serve and enjoy.
Recipe by: Tom Hixson of Smithfield