Sticky Mushroom Hot Pot
Caramelized onions, roasted garlic, root veg and lentils come together here to create this soul-soothing vegan main. Each vegetable gets special care and attention, building and layering the flavors of the lentil ragu into something rich and earthy. The sticky mushroom and lentil ragu gets the golden crown of scalloped, crispy potatoes.
- Vortex Air Fryer
- Vortex Plus Dual Drawer Air Fryer
- 900 g onions thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb garlic
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1 Celery stick diced
- 300 g oyster mushrooms
- 1 tin lentils or 65g dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 300 ml masala wine
- 1 Tbsp picked thyme
- 400 ml veg Stock
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 3 tbsp water
- 2-3 large potatoes peeled, and sliced 1mm thick
- Vegan butter for brushing
- Oil salt and pepper as needed
- Select sauté on the Instant Pot and set the time to 15 minutes. Add a little oil to the pot, then add the onions and cook until sticky and jammy.
- While the onions cook, trim the top quarter off the garlic bulb to reveal the cloves. Drizzle the garlic in oil, then wrap it in tinfoil.
- Select Air Fry on your Instant Vortex and set the temperature to 200°C and time to 15 minutes and place the garlic inside. Once soft and cooked through remove the garlic from the Instant Vortex and set aside until needed.
- When the onions are cooked, remove them from the pot and wipe down the inner pot.
- Reselect sauté on the Instant pot and set the time to 20 minutes. Add some oil, the carrots and celery and sauté until starting to soften.
- While the carrots and celery cook, toss the mushrooms in a little oil, then place them in the Vortex. Select Air Fry, set the time to at 203°C and the time to 8 minutes. Check the mushrooms from 4 minutes and remove once crispy.
- When the mushrooms are crisped add them to the vegetables in the inner pot, along with the caramelized onions. Add in the lentils, bay leaves, tomato paste and squeeze out the roasted garlic from its skin. Discard the garlic skin, and cook the vegetable ragu for a couple minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the marsala wine and cook for a further 3-5 minutes until it has reduced, and the alcohol has cooked off.
- Pour the vegetable stock into the inner pot and stir through the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornflour and water together, then add the cornflour slurry to the vegetables and continue sauteing until thickened.
- Season the mushroom lentil ragu with salt and pepper to taste, then remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Spoon the ragu into a pie dish big enough to fit into the base of your Instant Vortex, then layer the thinly sliced potatoes on top of the ragu. Brush the slices of potatoes with melted vegan butter. Sprinkle the potatoes with a pinch of salt.
- Select Air Fry, set the temperature to 190 C and the time to 25 minutes. When prompted place the hot pot dish inside.
- When prompted to turn food, check the crispiness of the hot pot. Continue cooking, checking every few minutes until the potatoes are golden and crisp, and cooked through.
- Serve immediately alongside your favourite side dishes.
Make ahead: the sticky mushroom ragu will freeze well, but the potatoes will not. Cook the ragu, then pop it aside in the freezer until Christmas if you want to get ahead on prep. Once ready to cook, defrost completely, reheat on the stove or microwave, giving it a good stir, to emulsify the sauce and proceed with the potato step.