Perfect Sushi Rice
No need to go out for Japanese when it’s this easy to make perfectly seasoned sushi rice at home! Use your sushi rice for donburi bowls, sushi rolls, poke or try our delicious sushi sando wrap hack in our video on Instagram
- Instant Pot Multi Pressure Cooker
- 230 g sushi rice
- 300 ml water
- Scant teaspoon sea salt
- 45 ml rice vinegar
- 2 Tsp sugar
- Place the sushi rice into a sieve, then submerge the sieve in a bowl of cold water. Gently agitate the water to rinse the rice, then lift the sieve, drain off the water and repeat this step until the water runs clear. Be sure not to let the rice sit in the water too long. Be gentle with the grains when washing them so as not to damage them. Leave the rice to drain for 5 minutes.
- Make the rice seasoning. Place the salt, rice vinegar and sugar into a bowl. Heat the mixture in short bursts in the microwave until the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Add the drained rice into the instant pot along with 300ml cold water. Ensure the rice is well covered in water. Secure the lid of the instant pot, select pressure cook, high pressure and set the timer to 0 minutes. Once at pressure allow the instant pot to perform a NPR for 17 Minutes. Remove the lid once complete.
- Transfer the rice to a large container or tray, and gently spread the rice out with a silicone spatula. Do not press down too hard on the rice as it can make it mushy. Slowly pour the rice vinegar seasoning over the rice, then gently mix the rice with the spatula until it cools to room temperature (about 5 minutes). You can do this in front of a breezy window, or fan to speed things along.
- Use your sushi rice to make your favourite sushi and rice dishes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!