Hoisin-Glazed Baby Back Ribs
- Instant Pot Multi Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup Hoisin Sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tbsp Chinese ﬁve-spice powder
- 5 tbsp gochujang divided
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 2 1/2- to 3- lb racks baby back pork ribs each cut half if pressure cooking or cut into 3 or 4 rib sections if slow cooking
- 2 tbsp ﬁnely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- START: In a large bowl, whisk together the hoisin, honey, ﬁve-spice powder and 2 tbsp gochujang. Measure 3/4 cup of the mixture into a small bowl and stir in the remaining 3 tbsp gochujang and the ginger; set aside at room temperature if pressure cooking or cover and refrigerate if slow cooking. Add the rib sections to the remaining hoisin mixture in the large bowl and turn to coat. Place the steam rack in a 6-quart Instant Pot, then pour in 1 cup water. Arrange the ribs upright in a circle, with the meaty sides facing the walls of the pot.
- Fast (Pressure Cook): Lock the lid in place and move the pressure valve to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook or Manual; make sure the pressure level is set to High. Set the cooking time for 25 minutes. When pressure cooking is complete, allow the pressure to reduce naturally for 15 minutes, then release the remaining steam by moving the pressure valve to Venting. Press Cancel, then carefully open the pot. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Don’t use pork spareribs. They’re larger than baby backs and won’t fit in the pot; they also require a slightly longer cooking time. Don’t prep the cilantro and scallions at the same time as you prep the ribs; use the half hour or so that it takes the ribs to pressure cook to chop and slice them. This saves some up-front time and ensures the herbs are fresh and flavorful for serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!