Giant Pig in Blanket
- Instant Pot Multi Pressure Cooker
- Vortex Air Fryer
- 1 chicken stock cube with 60ml water
- 200 g stale sourdough crusts removed and cubed
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 stick of celery diced
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic grated
- 60 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 g picked thyme leaves
- 8 g sage leaves finely chopped
- 450 g pork mince or sausage meat
- 18 rashers of streaky bacon
- Oil salt and pepper as needed
- Pour the chicken stock mixture over the stale bread and set aside.
- Set the Instant pot to Sauté and the time to 8 minutes. Once hot, drizzle in a little oil and add the carrot, celery and onion, cooking until starting to soften. Then add the apple to the pot.
- Once the apple and veg are cooked through, add the garlic and butter, cooking until it turns golden brown.
- Tip the mixture into a bowl, season with salt and pepper then add the soaked bread, eggs, herbs, and sausage meat. Mix everything together until combined.
- Layer 11 rashers of bacon lengthways, on some greaseproof paper, with the edges slightly overlapping to form a large rectangle about 28cm wide. Half a few additional pieces of bacon, and place these at the bottom, to make the rectangle bigger. Finally, add 4 strips of bacon to form flaps on each side of the rectangle. View our video below for help with this step.
- Layer the sausage/vegetable mixture down the middle of the rectangle of bacon, shaping it into a tight, fat log. Fold the side strips of bacon over the stuffing ends, then use the baking paper to help roll the bacon completely around the stuffing.
- Place the roll diagonally into the basket of your Vortex Air Fryer.
- Select Air Fry, set the temperature to 165° C, and the time to 40 minutes. Ignore when prompted to Turn food.
- Once cooked the bacon should be golden and crisp, and the internal temperature should read a minimum of 75° C.
- Serve your big pig in a blanket alongside your favorite Christmas dinner items.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Complete the sauté steps on the stove and follow the instructions for the air fryer. Don’t have an air fryer? Follow the steps on the Instant Pot, then set the oven to 170° C and cook the Big Pig in a Blanket until the bacon is golden and crisp and the meat is cooked through.