Chinese Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Multi Pressure Cooker
- 1.4 kg pulled pork shoulder
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 240 ml water
- 120 ml soy sauce
- 60 ml Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 50 g brown sugar
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 onion chopped
- Thickener: 2 tbsp corn flour + 60ml water
- Pat dry the pork with paper towels and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add the sesame oil into the inner pot and turn on the SAUTE function. Once hot, add the pork and brown the edges, flipping it over to brown all sides.
- Transfer the browned pork to a plate and immediately add the 240ml water to the inner pot. Turn off saute and scrape off any brown bits stuck to the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the thickener into the inner pot and stir to mix well.
- Transfer the cooked pork back into the Instant Pot and put on the lid.
- Select PRESSURE COOK on high for 1 hour.
- Once the program has finished, perform a quick pressure release, and remove the pork from the pot into a serving dish and use two forks to shred the pork.
- Select the SAUTE function again and bring the sauce to a boil. Whisk the corn flour and water together in a small bowl and add this to the pot, to thicken the sauce. Stir well. (If the sauce is still thin, you can make some more thickener and add a little more to your desired sauce thickness.
- Once ready, turn off the saute function and transfer the sauce on top of the shredded pork.
- Serve in bao buns (recipe can also be found in this cookbook) or with rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!