We started with Greens, and now we bring to you Whites!
Vol.2 of our Air Fry Veg 101 series and its all about the white veggies we all know and love – the trusty spud and the wholesome cauliflower! Even more importantly with this instalment we show you how you can cook completely low waste – making use of the potato peelings and the cauliflower leaves…
As always recommended, follow the cooking instructions carefully and if necessary, work in batches for best results.
- Peel your potatoes, and slice into 1cm thick chips – Save the skins for the recipe below!
- Place the potatoes into a bowl of water, and leave to soak for 20 minutes.
- Drain the chips, pat dry, then toss to coat in a little oil, salt and pepper, if desired
- Place the chips into the air fryer basket, in a layer no more than 2cm deep.
- Select Air Fry and set the time to 20minutes and the temperature to 200°C, shaking the basket half way through cooking
- Once cooked, season to taste and serve immediately.
- Toss your potato peelings with a little oil (just enough to coat them in a thin layer) then place into the Air Fryer basket in an even layer.
- Select Air Fry, set the time to 13minutes and the temperature to 170°C, shaking every few minutes until crispy.
- Season the skins to taste before serving.
- Toss your chips with parmesan and black pepper for a cheesy peppery treat, or give them a Tex-Mex spin and use them in place of tortilla chips in your nachos!
Serve your potato skins with dips such as guacamole, spicy salsa, baba ghanoush or tzatziki.
Follow the potato skins cooking method or other vegetable peelings, like carrot, and sweet potato.
- Break the whole cauliflower down into florets and slice the stem of the cauliflower into ½ cm thick slices. Save the leaves for the recipe below!
- Toss the cauliflower florets and stems with a little oil, salt and pepper, then place into the basket.
- Select Air Fry, set the time to 18minutes and the temperature to 190°C. While the cauliflower cooks, shake every few minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Toss your reserved cauliflower leaves with a little oil, salt and pepper, then add the leaves to the Air Fryer basket.
- Select Air Fry, set the time to 8minutes and the temperature to 170°C.
- Cook until the leaves are golden and crisp, with soft stems.
- For a Mediterranean cauliflower, serve with a harissa dressing and sprinkle with toasted almonds. To make the dressing, combine 2 tsp harissa paste, 2 tsp honey, 3 tbsp rapeseed oil, and 1 tbsp white wine vinegar.
- Swap your normal crisps and hummus combo, for cauliflower leaves instead.
Have you ever Air fried your cauliflower leaves or potato peelings? or what other low waste initiatives do you follow at home?
Comment below and let us know!
Take a read of vol.3 for more Air Fry Veg 101.