Zero Minute Chicken & Rice
The classic “Hainanese Chicken and Rice'' was invented in Hainan, but has since grown in popularity throughout Southeast Asia, becoming a staple in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. Delicious simplicity is its allure; coaxing depth and flavour out of the most simple ingredients. This hacked technique uses the Instant Pot to perfectly poach the chicken, with the 0 minute technique developed by @pressurecookrecipes. It yields a juicy and tender chicken, perfectly lip smacking chicken-broth-enriched rice, and is served along side two easy-peasy sauces. A match made in heaven.
- Instant Pot Multi Pressure Cooker
Spring Onion Sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 small clove garlic
- 6 spring onions thinly sliced, green tops reserved for the chicken stock
- 1/3 cup rapeseed oil
For the Chicken
- 1 chicken
- 5 cm ginger skin on thinly sliced
- Tops of spring onions from sauce
- 3 Tbsp Lao man ga crispy chili sauce or crispy chili condiment of choice
- 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp Chicken Broth
For The Rice
- ¼ cup chicken skin and fat trimmings remove these from the whole chicken or alternatively use some finely diced skin-on chicken thigh
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 ¼ cups jasmine rice
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- For the spring onion sauce, select saute, and increase the heat to the highest heat setting. Place a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar, add the garlic and ginger and muddle with the pestle. Add the spring onions to the mixture, ensuring your bowl is heat resistant. Add the oil to the Instant Pot and heat until shimmering, but not smoking. Pour the heated oil over the spring onion mixture, let it sizzle, then stir and set aside.
- Wipe the Instant Pot clean. Place the chicken on a trivet, and cover completely in water, ensuring not to exceed the maximum volume line. Add the sliced ginger, and spring onion tops to the water. Select pressure cook, set the time to 0 Minutes, then perform a natural pressure release (NPR):1.3 kg chicken - 19 Mins NPR1.4 kg chicken - 20 Mins NPR1.6 kg chicken - 22 Mins NPR
- Remove the chicken from the broth and plunge into a ice water bath for 1 minute to stop the chicken overcooking.
- Remove the chicken broth from the Instant Pot, and set aside.
- To make the chilli sauce add 3 Tbsp of chilli crisp to a bowl, along with 3 Tbsp of chicken broth and the juice of aproximately 1 lime, added to taste. Set aside.
- Make the rice by trimming the wingtips and excess skin off the chicken. Add the chicken offcuts to the clean instant pot and fry until crisp, and you have about 1 ½ Tbsp chicken fat. While the chicken renders, wash the rice under running water until the water runs clear. Remove the chicken bits, then add the garlic. Fry the garlic until light golden. Add the rice and stir vigorously to scrape up any of the chicken bits from the bottom of the pan. Finally add the 1 ¼ cups of reserved chicken broth. Secure the pressure cooking lid. Select pressure cook, then set the pressure to high and the time to 3 mins. Once cooked allow a NPR for 5mins.
- Carve the chicken from the bone (reserve the bones for our delicious chicken soup), and warm through. Serve alongside the rice and duo of sauces.
This dish would be wonderful alongside some sesame broccoli, or sauted greens.